Nava Raj Dahal has been elected the President of Trekking Agencies' Association of Nepal (TAAN) during the 39th Annual General Meeting and Executive Committee election held on 29 October 2017 at Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kathmandu. The election was participated by a total of 1186 TAAN members.
Mr. Dahal has become the 18th President of TAAN and will head the newly elected executive committee of 17 members for 2 years, from 2017- 2019. He was previously elected as Executive Member of TAAN in 2005 and as General Secretary in 2008.
TAAN is the biggest tourism association in Nepal with nearly 1700 members. It was first established in 1979 with the objective to promote the welfare and interests of trekking entrepreneurs, guides as well as professionals and help in the national and international promotion of Nepalese tourism.
Nava Raj Dahal is Managing Director of Nepal Environmental Treks & Expedition and holds Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA). Ever since 2013 he has been serving as the Honorary Consul of Republic of Estonia to Nepal.
As declared in their Election Manifesto, Nava Raj Dahal will be addressing some of the urgent issues as follows:
- Control Illegal Trekking operation
- Discourage trekking activities without guide and porter
- Raise VAT and Tax issues with the government
- Revise fees for Protected (Controlled) trekking areas
- Allow Individual Trekkers in Controlled Trekking Areas with license holder trekking guide
- Better Management of TIMS based on its stated provisions
- Organize International Travel Mart under TAAN leadership for international promotion
- Work towards unification among all trekking entrepreneurs
- Stress the need for Infrastructure Development
- Lobby for Designation of Industry Status for Tourism sector
- Identification and Promotion of New Trekking Routes
- Promote Welfare and wellbeing of Trekking Guides and porters
- Develop Cordial relations between trekking entrepreneurs and laborers
- Organize Skill and capacity building programs for trekking guides and porters
- To help government to formulate new sustainable tourism policies
Trekking and tourism entrepreneurs in Nepal have pinned high hopes and expectation on Mr. Nava Raj Dahal to deliver on his commitments. Being a seasoned entrepreneur himself and an advocate for sustainable development of tourism, Mr. Dahal will remain fully determined and devoted to further development and promotion of Nepalese tourism during his tenure.